Monday, February 14, 2011

Sticking to my guns...figuratively

Both of my kids have decided that it's time to test their boundries.  Being the butt end of winter with spring just within reach where I will be normal and happy again, I think they must both have lost their minds to push me right now.  My daughter is 10 and puberty is hitting her, her friends are getting their periods, she is a punk rock diva who's trying her hardest to find where the limits are.  My son who is 5 is a parrot and mimics everything that his big sister does.  He is testing the limits too in his own age appropriate way.  She is famous for using a major attitude in her voice when she is talking to me, or her step dad or anyone in authority like she is talking down to them. Hendrix has chosen the route of temper tantrums and acting like a two year old.   

Both of them have lost their marbles.  I have never been one to punish or ground, so when the hammer came down last night...figuratively again...I think they were shocked.  I laid down in bed at 10:30.  They had been in bed for over an hour.  I yelled in the room for them to turn down the TV.  They did and all was good...except that they should have already been asleep.  At 11:30 when I heard them arguing, I woke up and walked in to find Hendrix playing his DS and Naomi reading a book, lights on and TV playing.  I lost it.  I turned off everything and flipped out on them.  I did a lot of yelling and told them they lost the TV for a week and they earned an 8:30 bedtime until the end of the month.  I make threats of punishments all the time, but are not the best at following through.

Well, today I physically took the TV from the room and they are in bed.  They may not be asleep, but they are in bed with the lights out and nothing to do at 9:00.  I know it's only been one day, but I feel triumphant.  I kinda hope they screw up some more so I can take more of their joys away since they have decided to take so much joy from me the last few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment