Friday, January 28, 2011

Wanted to start with baby steps, but took a leap instead

I had mentioned in a previous post that I was addicted to online games.  It may have sounded like a silly joke, and while I don't like to admit it...I seriously have a problem.  Another thing I don't like to admit...I spend over 3 hours a day on Facebook.  It obviously does not take that long to update my status and see what is going on with friends.  The bulk of that time was dedicated to Farmville, My Town, Mafia Wars, Petville and most recently Cityville.  Zygna really has a racket going. 

Most games I get tired of after a few weeks and everything is well, as what happened to My Town, Mafia Wars, and Petville.  They didn't last long at all.  I say each maybe had a reign of one week.  My Town is also not a Zygna game.  Zygna games are the ones that make you hopelessly addicted in some way I cannot explain. You have to rely on having your Facebook friends play the game too.  In each Zygna game, you have to have a certain amount of "neighbors" to advance to higher levels and unlock certain aspects.  These neighbors also have to constantly send and receive "gifts" to keep the game afloat too.

I on a bad day will spend over 5 hours just playing Farmville.  It has gotten a lot better, but I have played it for over a year.  There are only four neighbors of my 60 or so that are ahead of me level wise.  What has kept me going is the sense of community and the fact that I had advanced so far.  If I quit will I let my friends down.  And honestly, some of my Facebook friends I would have deleted a long time ago if they were not players in the game.  I have used them and I wonder how many have used me.  These are mere acquaintances that I accepted to say "hey how's it going", but then have had no other contact except through the online gaming community. 

A few days ago when I started this blog and wrote about my passion for writing.  I started to think about baby steps to take that would ensure that my day would have the time and I would have the peace and quiet to write.  The first baby step was to write something of some importance to me everyday here.  Only a few days in, but I can safely say that that step has been taken.  I love this.

Baby step two was to make a schedule for myself again and try my damnest to keep too it.  I have kept a list the last few days, but can already say that things just keep getting bumped back.  I have to try a little harder. 

Step three was to limit my online time.  Mainly Facebook and the games.  Today I turned on the computer, limiting my time to Farmville and Cityville to one hour.  I know that is still a lot, but again, trying to take baby steps. 

I am proud to say when I hit the games tab and was getting ready to accept all my Farmville gifts, instead of hitting accept, I hit the block button.  BAM!  In a single click that took not even a second, Farmville is gone from my life forever.  Cold Turkey, but I am amazingly calm and ok with the decision.  Next on the chopping block will be Cityville, but that will work out itself.  It doesn't have the same strange appeal that Farmville had over me so it will only be a matter of time. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree, some of those games are addicting!! However I was spending so much time checking email, catching up on Facebook and the games that I never got much done. So I ended up blocking those games too. I have tried to do a game recently but got bored with it, and now just ignore any requests for them. Good for you for blocking Farmville and slowly claiming back your time!

    ReplyDelete