Sunday, January 30, 2011

Can Social Networking Save the World?

Ok, time for the randomness.  I had a normal day of friends and shopping and nothing extraordinary happened today that would prompt a long post; that is, until I got on Facebook tonight.  I consider myself a Facebook newbie.  I have not been on for even two years and fought everyone tooth and nail to not get on Facebook.  All the time it takes from me I wish I'd fought harder. 

Social networking is relatively new, and it never ceases to amaze me.  Even though it takes up time...I am able to plan events, have the best parties and social events ever since I have access to everyone so readily, keep in touch with people who I really did miss or who have moved away, and it is a learning experience.  Most people post news articles, links to their favorite websites, shows, music videos, ect...  It is also entertaining from time to time.   Especially when you have some of those drama friends who are always calling someone out on a post and then they spat back and forth until things get so ugly someone blocks the other. 

Tonight though, I noticed how social networking makes everyone an activist or advertiser.  I am guilty of it too.  We all have a cause.  Tonight there were friends who had petition to end texting while driving, to stop the violence in Egypt, to legalize marijuana, to feed the hungry and the list goes on and on.  I am not even sure that anything gets done with online petitions.  I am afraid that when you sign on you get put on a trouble maker list.  There are people who advertise their favorite products, or their new blogs. (<---that one is me too)

We also use social networking sites to really break the taboos of politics and religion.  Which again, I'm guilty as charged.  I definitely let the Facebook world know that I am a lefty liberal and that Sarah Palin and Fox News are the devil along with everything Republican and Tea Party.  My Facebook friend list has friends of all political nature, but I think most just don't care.  I haven't had too many heated debates thus far. 

As for religion...I can't tell you how sick and tired I get of the copy and paste posts talking about if you love Jesus, or believe God needs to be in schools, ect...blah, blah, blah.  Or the people who pray for EVERYTHING!  I am agnostic, but I think that if there is a God, he probably doesn't like for people to bother him for their cat's broken leg, or to pass an exam or all the trivial things that people will publicly ask all their friends to pray for. 

And yet, even though we all have these crazy motives, links, posts, rumors, and taboos on Facebook, everyone just gets along; for the most part.  It is a place where hundreds of random, unique, individuals with their own customs, and beliefs can agree to disagree and live in peace.  (or not, but that is just a block button away, not a crisis) 

So what is wrong with the world?  Should Facebook be the new universal president?  Can social networking save the day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment